I am terrible at personal goals, as I just write them down and get back to it in January next year 😀 well, but still I find it useful to see what I planned and what I achieved. Here I’ll comment on my goals from 2020 and what I’d like to do in 2021. I will keep it updated, as it mostly serves as notes for me and it changes throughout the year.
Goals from 2020
Here is the original link.
- I was planning on buying a flat or house, but I found it hard as I was paying only 220 eurs per month for a single small room. It changed now, I pay rent ~400 euros. So I failed here, did not buy a flat and I don’t plan to buy one in the foreseeable future.
- I wanted to read 10 books and I failed as well. I’ve read 6 books and that is as far as I can go 😀 Don’t get me wrong, I can read a book quite quickly if I commit to it, but I prefer to read articles on the internet and change my focus frequently. I’ve read 6 books and I think it’s good enough for me. I believe it will get to higher number only if I decide to spend less time on my laptop.
- Lower screen time -> I failed this one as well. This is disappointing. Rescuetime app turned out to be useless in free version (only recent data there) and corona pinned us to our chairs, so I believe I have screen time much higher. I don’t mind much, but I can be more effective when on computer, as everybody else. shrug.
- Long term goal was to have a passive income that will cover my expenses. The year 2029 is ETA, so fingers crossed. As mentioned here, I lowered my living costs in 2020 and increased the passive income (11.68% in 2020). But 100% is quite far, and I saved a lot in 2020 because I was mostly at home, which I can’t expect from 2021.
What went well in 2020
- I have a girlfriend!
- I continued to invest monthly, the habit is important to achieve my 2029 goal.
- I moved to a really nice flat with reasonable rent, happy to live there and I can’t imagine how I would survive corona in the old one.
- I finally made my mind at work and decided I wanna move back to tech path from the engineering manager position.
- I am happier and less stressed in general, more YOLO attitude.
- I really like we have competitive commision-free stock brokers in Europe. Now waiting for some retirement tax-free investing accounts I can manage myself in Slovakia.
- Got divers license in Croatia! At least a holiday in 2020, but expensive.
Goals for 2021
- Move back to my home country.
- Buy a flat or a house in my home country (2022 is ok for this goal) and investing real estate as well (2023 ok for this one).
- Get passive income ratio to living costs to 15%. Will track it here.
- Learn something new. Similar to the divers license, get some certificate. For example, learn how to create a mobile app and create one for digrin.com. Start working with a photo editor or video, etc.
- Earn over 5000 eur from a side gig. Or 1000 eur MRR, from some website or similar service.
- Rework my server setup, I’d like to replace rancher 1.6 with something more modern, something that eats less RAM.
- That’s it. Do sports, be happy, smile more, help friends, spend time with family, etc.
- I’ll add more goals if I find something important throughout the year.